Tuesday, February 26, 2008

eeePC Ordered.

Well, well well. I ordered my Dell Inspiron 1525 back in January, messed with it for a couple of days and now its just been sitting on the top of my laser printer for the past couple of weeks, barely being touched.

I never did a review on it, mostly because I haven't really used it much. It's a very nice laptop in general, but I'm not really a laptop kind of guy. The keyboard drives me up a wall too (in the short time I've used it). I usually eat snacks while computing (who doesn't?), and recently two small pieces of potato chips under the keyboard, and instantly my "P" and "L" keys became stuck. I've never had this kind of problem before with a laptop keyboard. I literally had to remove the keys from the keyboard and reinsert them in order to regain function of the keys.

Another reason why I never use the damn thing is probably because Windows Vista is impossible to work with. I can't deal with all the shit that operating system throws at me (COM Surrogate errors, and blue screen of death errors [IN THE PAST SIX YEARS OF USING XP, I ONLY SAW THREE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH ERRORs. WITH VISTA I HAVE SEEN ABOUT TEN IN ONE MONTH].

Sigh.

I finally decided to order an eee PC. I have been interested in them for a long time, and originally was going to purchase one when they were originally released, but they drastically raised the price. When I saw all of the available hacks for the device, I decided I should get one and try it out.

I bit the bullet, and ended up purchasing a 4G Surf Galaxy Black model from Amazon.com for $350, and opted for overnight shipping ($4, because I signed up for the Amazon Prime trial). If all goes good, I should have it tomorrow. I'm also ordering a touch screen kit for it, and am going to replace the 512mb of RAM with a 2gb stick I have from the Inspiron. I opted for the Surf model because I need the empty webcam port on the motherboard so I can easily hookup the touchscreen. I'm not really worried about the extra hour of battery life on the other models, because the maximum battery life I really need is one hour.

I'm going to try and load XP on this bad boy, overclock it to 800 mhz, and
see if I can actually use the damn thing with the 7" LCD. The resolution to me, isn't really a big deal considering I was using 800 x 600 until 2004. We'll see... we'll see...

As for the Athlon LE 1620, I still have to write a review up of it, and stuff.